About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mother of two young children and love making healthy meals for my family! I love fitness, playing tennis, cooking and traveling. Most of all I love spending time with my family!!! I hope you enjoy making these recipes for your family as well!!

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Enchilada Lasagna

My husband does not like lasagna...how was I going to get him to eat a Mexican Lasagna? I wasn't...so I decided to make an Enchilada Lasagna made with whole wheat tortillas instead. Publix had a sale on boneless skinless chicken breast so I stocked up on chicken! I decided that I could cook 3 breasts and shred it to have enough for two meals. Stay tuned later this week for the other dinner, Chicken N Dumplings!! Anyway, I cooked the chicken in a large stock pot with carrots, celery, onion, garlic and herbs...which also made homemade chicken stock! I shredded the chicken and put half of it in the fridge and the other half in a bowl for this meal.

When looking for a recipe I found quite a few different ones...spicy ones, vegetable ones, beef ones, etc. I ended up making my own by reading a few. The Hub can't eat spicy foods b/c of his ulcer issue (long story) so I had to modify so it wouldn't be spicy. Made a sauce out of cream of chicken soup (I typically don't use canned soups b/c of the nature of it, but I had it on hand and needed to use it), light sour cream, shredded cheese, chicken stock, and some cumin, chili powder, and SP. Mixed it all together, layered it up, tossed it in the oven and VOILA!!!

Ingredients:
3 cups shredded cooked chicken
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 can Rotel
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 can enchilada sauce
1/4 cup cream
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon SPG combo (I made an all around seasoning of salt pepper and garlic powder that I use)
6 whole wheat tortillas
Toppings: tomato, avocado, and cilantro

In medium bowl mix soup, stock, 1 cup cheese, Rotel, sour cream and seasonings. Once combined add shredded chicken. In a 8X8 greased baking dish, put 1/3 chicken mixture. Put one tortilla over mixture (I ended up tearing one into fourths so the corners were covered as well). Do two more layers ending with a tortilla on top. Mix enchilada sauce and cream in small bowl and pour over the top. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Cover and bake on 375 for 30 min. Remove foil and bake 10 until cheese is golden. Serve with tomatoes, avocado, and cilantro. *Modify for lower calories by using low fat cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment