About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mother of two young children and love making healthy meals for my family! I love fitness, playing tennis, cooking and traveling. Most of all I love spending time with my family!!! I hope you enjoy making these recipes for your family as well!!

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Mascarpone and Lemon Gnocchi...with scallops

As you know I sort of love the Food Network!! I don't get to watch my favorite cooking shows nearly as much as I'd like due to my little loves, but occasionally I'll watch a little while they nap. I watched Giada the other day, who by the way is one of my favorite chefs, and she was making "Mascarpone and Lemon Gnocchi". I love gnocchi but I've never had the courage to make it...until now. This was a light little dumpling with a fresh lemon flavor and a mix of parmesan cheese.  The original recipe called for a sauce of olive oil and basil. I didn't think I would like that very much so I browned some butter and tossed the gnocchi in that afterwards...added a nice nutty flavor.

I decided to serve it with pan seared scallops and roasted asparagus...it was delicious. The recipe calls for quite a bit of parmesan cheese...I think next time I may cut back a little bit (I adjusted the recipe below to reflect less cheese). Don't get me wrong...I LOVE parmesan cheese, but it was almost over powering. Anyways, I hope you enjoy!!!


Ingredients
  • 1 Cup mascarpone, at room temperature (8 ounces)
  • 1 Large egg, at room temperature
  • 1 Large egg yolk, at room temperature
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 2 Large lemons, zested
  • 3/4 Cup grated Parmesan 
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 3/4 Cup all purpose flour, plus extra for forming the gnocchi
  • 1/2 Cup grated Parmesan, for serving

Directions
  1. For the gnocchi: In a large bowl, combine the mascarpone, egg, egg yolk, nutmeg, lemon zest, Parmesan, and salt. Using a hand mixer, beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Gradually beat in 3/4 cup flour until the mixture forms a soft dough.
  2. Sprinkle a pie pan or rimmed baking sheet with flour. Using 2 small spoons, drop 1 teaspoon sized pieces of dough into the pie pan. Shake the pan gently to cover the dough with flour. Gently roll the pieces of dough into oval shapes.
  3. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a simmer. In batches, carefully add the gnocchi. The gnocchi should sink and then float to the top. As soon as the gnocchi begin to float, cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Drain and place in a large serving bowl.
  4. For the sauce: In a small saucepan, brown 4 T of butter...toss gnocchi in butter before serving.
  5. Add the cheese to the gnocchi and gently toss until coated.

No comments:

Post a Comment