About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mother of two young children and love making healthy meals for my family! I love fitness, playing tennis, cooking and traveling. Most of all I love spending time with my family!!! I hope you enjoy making these recipes for your family as well!!

Friday, March 11, 2011

Pork chops with Bacon and Cabbage

My family and I went to Ireland a few years ago and absolutely LOVED it!! The first day that we were there we went to Bunratty Castle and had lunch. My husband, Waylin, tried a traditional Irish dish that consisted of Ham, Cabbage, Potatoes with a Parsley sauce..ever since then I've tried recreating this for him and FINALLY I got very close.  I used pork chops instead of ham and I didn't have parsley in the sauce, but other than that it was perfect. With St Patricks Day next week I thought I would share this with you. It sounds strange but is very tasty. Super cheap too!!! I think the whole dish cost about $9. ENJOY!!!


Ingredients
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 4 bone in pork chops (1 inch thick)
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 4 strips bacon, coarsely chopped
  • 1 Medium onion, cut into 1/2 inch slices
  • 1 head green cabbage , cored and cut into 8 wedges (about 2 1/2 pounds)
  • 3 Tbsp all purpose flour
  • 3 Cups whole milk

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set a large heavy roasting pan across two burners over high heat; add oil and heat. Season pork with salt and pepper; brown on one side, 3 to 5 minutes. Flip and cook 1 minute more. Transfer to a plate.
  2. Reduce heat to medium. Add bacon; cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Add onion; cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add cabbage, cut side down, and cook until light golden, about 6 minutes. Flip and cook until slightly tender, about 3 minutes. Add flour and stir until coated. Add milk and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then nestle pork chops in sauce. Transfer pan to oven. Bake until pork is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
*Recipe from Martha Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment