About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mother of two young children and love making healthy meals for my family! I love fitness, playing tennis, cooking and traveling. Most of all I love spending time with my family!!! I hope you enjoy making these recipes for your family as well!!

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Bayou Pasta

Pasta is one of my favorite meals to eat; however, I really try to limit my pasta intake due to the enormous amount of carbs. The original recipe came from All You magazine and uses regular white pasta but I use whole wheat. This is an quick meal to throw together and doesn't cost much. Total cost is about $10. Serve with a little side salad. I'm actually making this tonight and can't wait!!!

Ingredients
12 oz penne
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 1/2 Cups half and half
1/2 Cup grated Parmesan
Salt and pepper
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 1/2 Tbsp Cajun spice blend
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, optional
2 tsp vegetable oil
2 firm ripe Roma tomatoes, cored and diced


Directions
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook penne according to package directions.
Melt butter over medium heat. Add flour; stir for 1 minute. Add half and half; stir until thickened, 6 minutes. Remove from heat; add Parmesan, salt and pepper. Cover.
Place chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap; pound with a rolling pin to 1/2 inch thickness. Rub Cajun spice and cayenne, if using, evenly over chicken. Warm oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning once, until no longer pink in center, 6 to 8 minutes. Slice chicken.
In a bowl, toss pasta with sauce. Top with chicken and tomatoes and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment