About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mother of two young children and love making healthy meals for my family! I love fitness, playing tennis, cooking and traveling. Most of all I love spending time with my family!!! I hope you enjoy making these recipes for your family as well!!

Friday, January 14, 2011

Shrimp and Grits





Shrimp and Grits



Ingredients
  • 6 Slices of bacon, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deviened
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • 1 Old Bay Seasoning, to taste
  • 2 Tbsp flour
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 3/4 Cup low sodium chicken stock
  • 1/2 Cup heavy cream
  • quick cooking grits
  • 3 Tbsp butter
  • 2 Ounces Velveeta cheese

Directions
  1. Coarsely chop bacon and cook in skillet over medium heat until crispy; remove and set aside to drain. Season shrimp with Old Bay to your liking; add oil to pan and cook shrimp over medium heat until cooked through, about 4 min. Remove from pan to keep from over cooking. Add shallot to pan and cook until tender. Add flour; stir for 30 seconds to cook our raw flavor. Add chicken stock; let simmer until thickened. Add shrimp into pan; include any juices on plate. Add cream and let cook 1 more min. Serve over cheese grits with bacon on top.
  2. Grits: Cook grits according to package instructions; during the last min add butter and cheese. Let sit with heat off for 3-4 min to allow to thicken. Serve in bowl with shrimp topping.
*
Being from the South, shrimp and grits are one of my favorite meals! I have made many different SNG recipes; however, I've made this one my own. You can add mushroom or use chorizo (spicy sausage) instead of bacon if you'd like, but I like mine plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment