About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mother of two young children and love making healthy meals for my family! I love fitness, playing tennis, cooking and traveling. Most of all I love spending time with my family!!! I hope you enjoy making these recipes for your family as well!!

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sweet and Tangy Pork Chops

So I wasn't too sure about this recipe at first. It sounded a little strange to me...beer and ketchup. I gave it a try last night and it was very tasty!! It fits the description of my type of recipes; quick, fairly healthy, and inexpensive. I got this recipe from Taste of Home, which I love most of the recipes that I find on their website and in the cook books. You could actually make this with regular boneless pork chops if you'd like...you are basically braising the meat so it stays pretty tender. This recipe makes 2-3 servings so double it if you need more. My estimate of cost is basically only the pork chops which are about $7. You probably have most of the other ingredients already at home...and if you don't want to use the beer just add more beef broth. ENJOY!!

Ingredients
  • 2 bone in center cut pork loin chops (7 each)
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • Dash pepper
  • 1/4 Cup beer
  • 4 1/2 teaspoons ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/4 Cup reduced sodium beef broth

Directions
  1. Sprinkle pork chops with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown chops for 3 minutes on each side.
  2. In a small bowl, combine the beer, broth, ketchup and brown sugar. Pour over pork; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 15 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160. Simmer sauce until reduced to 1/2 cup, about another 5 minutes. Serve with pork chops. Yield: 2 servings.
  3. If at the end of the cooking time the sauce is not as thick as you would like, mix a little corn starch(1 teaspoon) and water (1 Tablespoon) in separate bowl and add to broth. You can also add 1 T butter to make sauce a little richer.

No comments:

Post a Comment